Daily Disposables: Room to grow!
Sunday 15 March 11:15 - 12:15
The 2019 international contact lens prescribing report shares fit data for more than 30 countries, including the Netherlands(1). Fitting practices vary between countries, with the Netherlands fitting a greater proportion of RGP lenses than most other markets. In fact, when the proportion of lens types fit during the survey is considered, for every 100 patients seen, 22 were fit with RGP, 5 with OK and the remaining 73 with a soft lens. The soft lens split, both in terms of modality and material is interesting. 56 patients left wearing reusable silicone hydrogels, but just 9 patients out of 100 were fit with a daily disposable.
It is this last figure which is significantly different from the global average and from many individual European countries.1 Using data from over 20 years of prescribing surveys in the Netherlands, including results from 2019, this talk will explore current fitting practice, clinical performance, and the opportunities and barriers of daily disposables. New research will be shared, along with an exploration of how, and indeed if, there is a need in the Netherlands to consider recommending them more frequently to patients.
Karen, Philip & Lyndon are curious about your opinion: Please fill out their one minute survey!
1. To understand current soft lens global fitting practices and how this relates to those seen in the Netherlands.
2. To appreciate the significant differences in daily disposable fitting between different markets.
3. To understand the practitioner and patient perspective on what they want from a soft contact lens, and to discuss the relevance of this to the Netherlands.
4. To understand the clinical advantages of daily disposables compared to reusable lenses.
5. To gain knowledge of new research in areas relating to daily disposable lenses and understand how to apply the results in practice.
1. Morgan P, Woods C, Tranoudis IG, et al. International Contact Lens Prescribing in 2018. Contact Lens Spectrum. 2019;34(January 2019):26-32.